SELECT Climate Program
Watch the Program Video
Applications are closed. Sign up for our newsletter to be notified of the next intake.
Enabling Equitable Climate Solutions
Are you a passionate community leader?
Are you interested in shaping equitable climate solutions?
Join our award-winning practical program that helps community leaders enable climate transitions for a just climate future.
Social Justice and Climate Justice
Social Entrepreneurial Leaders Enabling Climate Transitions (SELECT) fosters social and economic inclusion while strengthening community capacity to slow the pace and adapt to climate change. The impacts of climate change are unfairly and disproportionately experienced by those who contribute least to the problem. For example, racialized communities are statistically more likely to live in poverty, consume less, and therefore emit less pollution. However, these communities experience extreme weather while accessing fewer resources to build meaningful responses.
A nationally recognized program, SELECT leverages the green leadership potential of highly motivated organizers and social entrepreneurs from Ontario’s diverse communities. The program builds the capacity of organizers to help their communities “select” their future by:
- Bringing new voices into the environmental movement
- Slowing the pace and reducing the negative impacts of climate change
- Exploring new climate-ready jobs
- Strengthening friendships and social ties
A mere 3.7% of Canadian environmental NGOs regularly engage communities of colour. SELECT engages organizers from diverse communities.
- Strengthen Leadership Capacity – Participants increase their knowledge, confidence, and resources to integrate climate-focused initiatives into their community-based work. Participants learn about climate justice, mitigation and adaptation concepts, and outreach tools.
- Engage Community – Participants launch their own climate initiatives in their communities, accessing coaching for project design and implementation, and seed funds for project costs.
- Build Peer Networks – Participants build a network within the program and with other program alumni. The program continues to invest in participant initiatives as they grow.
SELECT Program Benefits
In this program, you will get:
- Two and half days of training on climate justice, reducing climate impacts and community-based action
- Optional “deep dive” workshops to explore climate-positive opportunities and maximize your project’s success
- Project funding of up to $1,000 to fuel a community engagement idea you wish to pursue
- A chance to explore career opportunities in the climate change sector
- Opportunity to collaborate with other community organizers and social entrepreneurs
- Access to the local and global networks of the School for Social Entrepreneurs and Enviromentum
“As a result of my participation, I met like-minded, passionate and ambitious community leaders while also receiving the resources, support and knowledge that I was looking for.” –Nicole Doray, SELECT 2017-18 Associate Fellow
SELECT Key Dates
SELECT is currently accepting applications applications for the 2018-19 cohort as follows:
- September 12, 2018: Informational webinar. Recording available here.
- September 24, 2018: Program applications close (Extended)
- September 28, 2018: Participants confirmed
- October 17, 2018; Mandatory: Launch and first session of SELECT (evening program)
- October 18-19, 2018; Mandatory: Two full training days of SELECT (daytime program)
- November 2018-April 2019: Optional “deep dive” workshops
- November 2018 – April 2019: Participants carry out community projects
- Program fee: No Fee thanks to our donors
- Program location: Downtown Toronto
- Project funding: Qualified participants may apply for up to $1,000 in project funding
SELECT is open to adults of any age and professional background in Ontario. We especially encourage social leaders from communities facing multiple barriers including Indigenous people, racialized people, newcomers, LGBTQ2IAA persons, and persons with Disabilities / Disabled people.
How to Apply
Applications are now closed. .
An online information session for applicants was held on September 12, 2018 from noon-1pm Eastern. A recording is available here.
SELECT Social Media
Follow the SELECT program on Twitter and Facebook at #SELECTcc and #greenequity.
SELECT Program Partners and Donors
SELECT is delivered collaboratively with Enviromentum with the School for Social Entrepreneurs (SSE) Ontario. Financial support is provided, in part, by The Atmospheric Fund and the Catherine Donnelly Foundation.
Browse SSE Workshops